Blended Learning at Peak Centre Academy
The Ontario Ministry of Education’s goal is to have Blended Learning available to all students in kindergarten to Grade 12. The term “blended learning” means that students learn both from traditional activities in the classroom and from technology-based programs and instruction. With the launching of Peak Academy Online comes many benefits to our Peak Academy Day School. Peak Academy Day School now has access to 70+ Ministry of Education Credit courses. Our classroom teachers will have access to online curriculum and technology to enhance their programs and further engage students.
Peak Centre Academy strongly believes in the importance of Blended Learning in the classroom to ensure that our students are thoroughly prepared to interact in today’s high tech post-secondary setting and the ever changing global work force which requires the skills that only Blended Learning can provide a student. At Peak Centre Academy we have taken deliberate and critical action to implement and launch this crucial initiative to ensure our students graduate with exceptional 21st Century Skills. Integrated technology in the classroom will help prepare students for their future careers, which will inevitably include the use of wireless technology.
There are many reasons that Peak Academy believes in the power of Blended Learning, but our top 6 reasons are:
- Blended Learning easily and readily provides differentiated instruction that matches student’s skill; blended learning options provide personalized instruction. Integrating technology into the classroom is a great way to reach diversity in learning styles.
- Blended learning expands learning time. Learning can happen anytime, anywhere when a solid blended learning model is in place. Students can access course content at home, on a phone in the car, or anyplace there is access to the web. This makes it easier for students to stay on track if they miss school for athletics, illness, travel or family.
- Blended Learning prepares students for real life. We live in a world where information is at our fingertips. Gone are the days when we had to rely on others to tell us things. We can look up anything that we want to know. We can explore new ideas and seek understanding. We can communicate with other people all over the world to discuss things of interest. Schools are simply irrelevant in today’s world if they are not helping students to engage in learning through the vast amount of resources online (Caffrey). As our world becomes increasingly more technology-dependent, it becomes even more necessary that to be successful citizens, students must learn to be tech-savvy.
- Blended Learning allows teachers to focus more on human interactions. Teachers can focus on developing relationships with their students to better facilitate independent learning and meeting the needs of individual students. The traditional passive learning mold is broken. With technology in the classroom the teacher becomes the encourager, adviser, and coach.
- Blended learning is the way our children learn. Our kids are involved in blended learning in all aspects of their lives. They search the web for information on music and then download music they like. They learn to code through Minecraft. They create their own videos and interact with one another online. Our kids learn in ways we could not have imagined even ten years ago. We must teach the way they learn.
- Students can have access to digital textbooks that are constantly updated and often more vivid, helpful, creative, and a lot cheaper than those old heavy books.